Thursday, May 05, 2005

Treading water (literally)

Today was a happy day for ducks in Jacksonville, with showers pounding since last night. Several ducks from the lake across the street quacked their hearts out this afternoon. Glad to see someone found the weather suitable.

The last few days have been full of surprises. Last night, I had the pleasure of dining with the 2004 Pulitzer Prize winner for Poetry, Franz Wright. It was an incredible evening, and we talked poetry for a long time. He is a very eloquent and interesting man. I have the pleasure of doing an article about him for The Writer; it will be in an upcoming issue. I thought about how long I’ve enjoyed Franz Wright’s poetry as well as his father’s work. We also talked about a lot of poets he knows, and some have a connection to my own background, such as James Dickey. It was a memorable night, one I will remember for a very long time.

Early reader responses to Killing Earl are very positive. I’ll be trying to post more of those on the book page soon at my home pages. The week has been a whirlwind of activity because my publisher and I are working out events for 2006. I’m thinking I will continue to be a very busy girl.

A useful link for authors is AcqWeb’s Directory of Book Reviews on the Web. I’m eager to see what sort of response my publisher gets to the review copies he sent out several weeks ago. Seems to me that authors learn to be experts at holding their breath.

No comments: